Saturday 10 August 2013

English, Curry, & Understanding



Spent a day at a waterfall recently and
wanted to share the picture with you.
Two weeks ago we had English Summer Program at Nagoya Youth Center. All of the students from the English classes come to the center for three days of English fun. I was able to see many of my old students for the first time in a year. They were very confused by my new hairdo. In fact many didn't believe that it was actually me. With that aside, the program was a hit! The second day we were brought some homemade Nepalese curry and the kids made na'an. The third day was Nepal day. The Nepalese English teacher, Shristy, told the kids all about Nepal. I along with most of the kids now want to go to Nepal. I even took notes during her presentations of things I want to see and eat.

One of the many things I love about this youth center is that they want to educate the kids about the world. This is why they bring in guests from Nepal. That is why they have teachers from all over. The idea is that if the kids are given the opportunity to meet and learn about others seeds of peace are being planted into them. When you create an understanding between cultures there is less hatred, less ignorance, and more respect.

I hope you are enjoying the last bit of your summer vacation! Look out for my post about long day camp coming your way in 24 hours.

Thanks for tuning in,
Katie

1 comment:

  1. The waterfall is beautiful. Keep planting those seeds of peace. Love you.

    ReplyDelete